Sunday, March 11, 2012

Swinging on The Mood Swing: Being Grateful for the Little Things


My basic approach to Life is to seek joy and fulfilment in every action and in every moment. But I'll admit that, on some days, my Happy Disposition plummets, swirling and twirling in the depths of laundry-induced Despair.

This was one of those melancholy weeks. A full-moon, my period due any second, unruly children and a messy house out of control had me crying over mis-matched socks and screeching over the hideous fly that decided to commit suicide in my lovely, freshly brewed cup of coffee.


When it's That Time of the Month my hormones go haywire. I feel the Lowest of the Low. I'm super-sensitive, the littlest things can get to me. If my children refuse to eat their dinner I feel unloved, unappreciated and the ugliest of the ugly. Of course I know that this is craziness and I am much loved, (mostly) appreciated, and pretty much  the damn Centre of my Family's Universe. I am The Mother, after all, and everything and everyone would go to heck without me!


The saddest part of this week was receiving news yesterday that a much loved family friend tragically passed away, leaving behind his young wife and 2 young daughters. This brought me back to reality. If I have my health and my family is in good health, I am blessed.

After attacking a block of cooking chocolate after dinner, I took a deep breath and looked around me.
I noted the 'little things' I was grateful for, right there and then, and started taking photos to capture the moment.

I was Grateful for:

My New Kitchen
Chocolate
The stems of the bok-choy I cut for our stir-fry that looked like roses

Little Miss C in her Fairy Princess ensemble

Little Miss A with her Flamenco dress and her Daddy's hat

Little Katrushki walking down the aisle

Our latest addition, Jinxy the Kitten
The picture Miss C drew of me that I found on my phone


Life is precious. Life is what we make of it.
When I feel my swing slowing down, I make sure I kick up my heels and point my toes towards Happy-ness again.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

What do you do to lift your spirits when you get the Blues?




2 comments:

kirri @ Happy Mums At Home said...

PMS sucks!! Particularly as you know whats going on, you know it's temporary yet it can influence your whole state of being and is so hard to shake! The two things that save me are the gym and mindfulness...like you, taking a moment to pause and reflect on the details.

Hugs to you Jess x

Deb @ Bright and Precious said...

Oh Jess, you truly are blessed. It's amazing what a reality check can do to make us feel grateful for the good things around us. But yes, feeling down is hard - I can understand. What beautiful smiles on all your girls. Precious! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...